A new research project has commenced to design a framework and operational requirements within a digital twin to simulate autonomous short-haul container transfers at the Port of Brisbane.
Over the next 12 months, port of Brisbane in partnership with Queensland University of Technology and MOVE Australia will consider the regulatory, safety, technical, and security requirements of an ecosystem to support container transfers between port facilities using low/zero-emission autonomous vehicles.
With freight volumes growing and a declining truck driver workforce, the research collaboration will explore how low/zero-emission autonomous vehicles could supplement requirements by supporting container movements between terminals, depots, and the PBPL-operated Brisbane Multimodal Terminal, the interface for road and rail at the Port.
Port of Brisbane CEO Neil Stephens stated the project was a key initiative identified through its recently released Vision 2060 an ambitious roadmap designed to strengthen Queensland's economic position, future proof trade, and support the transition to a more sustainable and efficient port.
The Vision identified that by 2060, Queensland's population is expected to reach 8.3 million from around 5.5 million in 2024, with container trade through the Port of Brisbane tripling over this time, Mr Stephens added.
As container volumes increase to meet Australia's growing population and trade demands, ports are under pressure to handle higher throughput while pursuing decarbonization strategies and maintaining the highest safety levels.
This project is a first-of-its-kind for the Port of Brisbane and represents a step toward enabling seamless connectivity in and around the port to support this future growth.
The Port of Brisbane continues playing a vital role in Queensland's economic prosperity, contributing US$11 billion to the state's economy in FY24 and supporting more than 73,000 jobs across its supply chain.

The Port of Oakland handled 178,942 TEUs in September 2025, down 6.6% from last year and 7% below August volumes. Officials said the decline reflects tariff-related market shifts rather than normal seasonal trends.
Full imports totaled 75,716 TEUS, a 7.9% drop year-on-year, while full exports reached 60,123 TEUs, down 2.2%. Despite the dip, trade flows remained stable thanks to consistent vessel calls and efficient terminal operations.
From January to September, Oakland terminals processed 1.72 million TEUs - up 0.7% from the same period in 2024. Imports rose 1.6% and exports grew 0.5%, showing steady performance despite global trade volatility.
The port recorded 82 vessel calls in September compared with 90 last year, but average ship size and utilization increased to 2,193 TEUs per call, up 1.8%. Larger ships continue to boost operational efficiency.
"While trade patterns are shifting due to tariff uncertainty, Oakland remains stable and resilient, said Bryan Brandes, Port Maritime Director. "Larger ships and consistent growth show the confidence carriers and cargo owners have in Oakland's role as a key U.S. gateway."
Port officials said some importers advanced shipments earlier in the year to avoid tariff risks, softening typical fall activity. Agricultural and refrigerated exports also faced weaker demand and cost pressures.
"The Port of Oakland is investing in infrastructure and sustainability for long-term competitiveness," said Executive Director Kristi McKenney. "Even as markets fluctuate, we continue to support regional jobs and strengthen our role in global trade."

Europe’s container ports may see a short reprieve following a court-mediated agreement to pause a major strike at the Port of Rotterdam, but broader port disruption continues to threaten sea freight flows across the continent.
Hundreds of lashers at Europe’s busiest container terminal suspended their walkout for five days on Monday 13 October to Friday 17 October, under terms agreed after legal intervention and fresh negotiations between unions and employer associations. The temporary halt offers a breathing space for business operators and shippers facing backlog pressure.
The strike, which began last Wednesday, had brought loading and unloading at all Rotterdam container berths to a standstill, accumulating a significant queue of vessels anchored offshore. The lashers, who are responsible for securing containers on ships, had demanded a pay increase and better conditions, asserting that the port could not function without their services.
Under last Saturday’s court ruling, unions and employers pledged to resume talks on Sunday morning. The agreement allows the walkout to pause while negotiations continue, but warns that striking may resume if no deal materialises by Friday morning.
Rotterdam’s crisis is hardly isolated. Industrial unrest has swelled across Northern Europe, compounding congestion that was already mounting due to vessel re-deployments, yard overcapacity, and adverse weather.
At the Port of Antwerp-Bruges, harbour pilots have initiated work-to-rule protests over proposed pension reforms. Their action has aggravated scheduling delays and snarled traffic entering and leaving the Belgian ports. Antwerp authorities reported dozens of vessels without confirmed berths. With Antwerp already facing backlog pressure, it has limited ability to absorb overflow from Rotterdam.
The strikes and bottlenecks they are creating have triggered ripple effects through Europe’s logistics networks, with delayed container loading, longer turnaround times, and route reassignments.
The five-day pause in Rotterdam will help clear some of the backlog, but if wage talks fail, strikes could quickly resume, deepening disruption across Europe’s ports. However, shippers remain exposed to bottlenecks, rising costs, and delivery uncertainty as supply chains strain under the pressure. Antwerp’s limited spare capacity offers little relief, and other ports may struggle to absorb diverted traffic amid already congested terminals.

Chinese forwarders are having to contend with rising costs as the price of labour, equipment, and energy eats into operating margins.
This is despite the country's supply chains proving remarkably resistant to the Trump administration's tariff wars.
One forwarder told that China's logistics sector was undergoing a "critical period of transformation". "Logistics enterprises are confronted with the challenge of rising costs.
The increase in oil prices, labour and equipment maintenance expenses have led to a significant surge in operating costs. "This substantial hike has further squeezed the profit margins of enterprises, resulting in mounting operational pressure."
The past year has proved tumultuous for China, which, having shown a moderate recovery at the start of the year, found itself facing down both barrels of the Trump administration desire to reconfigure the global trade order.
Despite this, the forwarder said, the logistics sector had maintained steady growth momentum, "laying a solid foundation for the development of the whole year".
"From January to August, China's total logistics volumes reached CNY229.4trn ($31 trn), characterised by stable growth and continuous structural transformation and upgrades. These figures reflect vigorous logistics development," the forwarder added. "But it also indicates that the logistics and transportation industry is in a critical period of transformation, and many new opportunities have emerged accordingly."
For small- and medium-sized operators (SMEs), the forwarder suggested cross-border activities were proving particularly profitable, but noted that this necessitated a "greening" of their operations as customers seek improved environmental credentials.

The Port of Rotterdam Authority has launched a pilot with the KING application as there are 31 buoys and dolphins that are intensively utilized for transhipment, repair, bunkering, and waiting.
Shipping agents can book these berths 24/7 via the KING application, but demand currently exceeds supply. There is no space to expand physical infrastructure, so smart solutions are being pursued.
This expansion of the existing system enables digital booking of commercial berths, such as quays operated by market parties.
Commercial operators such as HBTM and ECT can make their berths available via the KING platform. They retain control over:
- Availability of their berths
- Which vessels, activities, and duration of stay they wish to accommodate
- Commercial conditions, including applicable rates
This approach delivers greater flexibility, optimizes existing infrastructure use, and provides a more transparent offering for shipping agents.
With KING, agents can identify available berths more quickly even beyond traditional buoys and dolphins. This results in shorter waiting times, reduced emissions, and more sustainable port operations.
The pilot began in October 2024 with two berths at HES Bulk Terminal Maasdelta (HBTM) and two berths on the DBF quay at ECT. Initial market feedback has been positive: users value the transparency and ease of use, while terminals benefit from improved quay occupancy and higher occupancy rates.
Following a successful pilot, three new parties are now being connected to KING. Several others are queued to join in subsequent phases.
By the end of 2025, approximately ten additional commercial berths are expected to be bookable via KING.

The Maxmodal Silk Road Index (MSRI) has officially been launched as the world’s first truly multimodal container index, setting a new benchmark for measuring, comparing, and understanding freight performance across the Eurasian transport network. Unlike traditional indices focused only on ocean shipping, the MSRI integrates real costs from rail, road, sea, ferry, and terminal handling, providing a comprehensive picture of container movements from inland China to inland Europe.
At its core, the MSRI tracks both the Middle and Southern corridors of the New Silk Road, capturing the true cost structure across end-to-end supply chains. This transparency supports better decision-making in an industry where most cargo no longer begins or ends at a seaport.
“By including every transport mode and key handling points, the MSRI reflects how supply chains actually work today,” said Maxmodal in its launch statement. “This makes it a neutral benchmark for shippers, forwarders, terminals, operators, financial institutions, and regulators alike.”
Benefits for the international transport & logistics industry
The MSRI offers clear, practical benefits to a wide range of stakeholders:
- Shippers and freight forwarders can evaluate routing strategies and compare pricing levels.
- Terminal operators and transport providers gain insights into corridor competitiveness and operational efficiency.
- Policy-makers and regulators can base their decisions on customs, subsidies, and infrastructure on evidence rather than assumptions.
- Financial institutions, such as the World Bank, ADB, and EBRD, can use the data to inform their infrastructure investment decisions.
In addition to pricing, Maxmodal will expand the index over time to cover transit times, service quality, carbon emissions, digitalisation, and market volumes — offering a 360-degree view of transport and logistics performance.
Market intelligence and global reach
The index is designed as both a benchmarking tool and a source of market intelligence. Monthly MSRI reports will feature:
- Corridor comparisons between the Middle Corridor, Southern Corridor, and Deep Sea (via Suez).
- Route-level rankings across 27 Eurasian connections.
- Hub-level analytics for 12 major transit and border points.
- Country-specific insights across an initial group of 10 Silk Road nations.
Maxmodal intends the MSRI to become the first of a global series of multimodal indices, with future expansions planned across the Americas, Africa, and Australia. With Eurasia alone representing over 60% of global GDP and 68% of the world’s population, the MSRI has the potential to evolve into a new macroeconomic indicator for the transport and logistics industry.
Independent and neutral
A key feature of the MSRI is its independence. Maxmodal emphasises that the index is not tied to any logistics group, carrier, or government, making it suitable as an industry-wide standard for transparency and reliability.

PhilaPort has announced the acquisition of the 152-acre Mustin Yard property from Norfolk Southern Corporation, marking a significant milestone in the Port's long-term expansion strategy.
Located adjacent to PhilaPort's SouthPort Marine Terminal, Mustin Yard represents the last major tract of land connecting deep water, rail, and highway infrastructure in Philadelphia. Formerly part of the historic Philadelphia Navy Yard, the site is seen as a cornerstone for the Port's continued development.
The acquisition aligns with PhilaPort's Strategic Plan: Destination 2040, supporting plans to expand cargo handling capacity, attract new business, and create sustainable jobs across the region. After achieving record container and automobile import volumes in 2024, PhilaPort is now preparing for its next phase of growth.
The site also features a fully developed intermodal transfer facility, which Norfolk Southern and PhilaPort plan to activate to enhance logistics connectivity. Once operational, it will strengthen the integration of maritime and rail freight networks, improving supply chain efficiency for regional and national shippers.

Port of Tauranga announced that its associate company Northport Group Limited has secured resource consent for its planned expansion.
The Environment Court has approved updated conditions for the project, which involves nearly 12 hectares of reclamation and a 250-meter wharf extension, with associated capital dredging.
Port of Tauranga Chief Executive Leonard Sampson stated it was welcome news that would enable Northport to assume a larger role in an enhanced Upper North Island supply chain.
He added that this consent decision, combined with the recent acquisition of Marsden Maritime Holdings, provides an excellent platform for future Northport Group growth and significant economic benefits for the Northland economy.
Construction timing depends on freight demand and rail line extension to Marsden Point, which is currently being advanced by the Government and KiwiRail.
Northport Group Limited, which includes Northport and the former Marsden Maritime Holdings, is 50% owned by Port of Tauranga, with Northland Regional Council owning 43% and Tupu Tonu 7%.

Hamburger Hafen und Logistik AG is testing the first hydrogen-powered straddle carrier at the Port of Hamburg.
The vehicle is being utilized in operations at the Container Terminal Tollerort testing facility as part of the Clean Port & Logistics innovation cluster.
The new straddle carrier model from manufacturer Konecranes is powered by a hydrogen fuel cell and operates emission-free.
Initial practical experiences demonstrate that the drive system responds quickly and performs handling operations with performance matching the hybrid version. A distinctive feature of the vehicle is its modular power system, which can be flexibly adapted to different drive system types (hybrid, battery, or hydrogen) through simple modifications.
The straddle carrier is refueled at the CTT hydrogen filling station using a process similar to standard fueling procedures, creating operational synergies.
Supplementary training modules are being developed to ensure systematic knowledge transfer while establishing a long-term skills base.
Dr. Volker Windeck, Head of Hydrogen Projects, HHLA, stated that through this pilot project, they're demonstrating that hydrogen drive systems represent a genuine alternative in heavy-load operations.
HHLA collaborates with more than 40 partner companies from around the world in the Clean Port & Logistics cluster to develop solutions bringing hydrogen-powered heavy goods vehicles and terminal equipment to market rapidly and establishing the necessary measures for their use.
The concepts developed by working groups for operation, safety, maintenance, refueling, and supply are tested and optimized in practical operation at the CTT testing facility.
Their CPL collaboration assists companies in decarbonizing their processes and making meaningful, climate-friendly investments as they collect necessary information and practical experience.
The cluster and filling station received funding of approximately three million euros from the Federal Ministry of Transport as part of a national innovation program for hydrogen and fuel cell technology.
The funding guidelines are coordinated by NOW GmbH and implemented by Project Management Jülich.
As part of the "Balanced Logistics" sustainability strategy, HHLA aims to achieve climate neutrality throughout the Group by 2040.

The Port of Savannah handled 534,037 TEUs in August, up 44,000 TEUs or 9% year-over-year. It was the third-busiest month in Georgia Ports Authority (GPA) history. Container volumes reached 1,010,725 TEUs fiscal year-to-date through August, a 3.2% increase from last year.
In September, GPA launched a new fast-track routing system for vessels entering Savannah. Inbound ships now dock temporarily at Ocean Terminal until space opens at Garden City Terminal. The first vessel using this process cut 12-15 hours from its schedule.
GPA President and CEO Griff Lynch called the system "a gamechanger" that reduces berth idle time from up to 15 hours down to three.
Meanwhile, auto and machinery volumes at the Port of Brunswick fell. Colonels Island Terminal handled 63,926 units in August, down 14.3% year-over-year. Fiscal year-to-date volumes dropped 11.8% to 132,918 units.
Georgia's ports continue to drive economic growth. A University of Georgia study found they support nearly 651,000 jobs statewide, up 7% from last year. The ports generated $174 billion in sales, $77 billion in GDP, and $43 billion in personal income in fiscal 2024.
The GPA Board has approved $614 million in improvements at Ocean Terminal, part of a $1.54 billion renovation. The project will expand truck gates, add a new ramp to U.S.
17/Interstate 16, and allow the facility to serve two large ships at once by 2028. Long term, GPA plans to invest $4.5 billion in infrastructure, including new berths at Ocean Terminal and a new container terminal on Hutchinson Island.
On 18 September, GPA also celebrated National Truck Driver Appreciation Week. More than 14,000 trucks move through Savannah's terminals daily. COO Ed McCarthy said: "We honor our trucking community for the critical role they play in keeping Georgia's supply chains strong."





